Well, whether it's motion sickness,
the flu or pregnancy related unease,
most of us have dealt with nausea of before.
It's no fun, but there are steps you can take
to help with that symptom.
Jackie's meeting up with an expert
to find out what you should reach for to bring relief.
- Hey guys, it's Jackie Bender,
and I'm here today with the balanced babe, Sarah Baker
and we are talking today about all things, nausea,
and specifically how different foods
can help alleviate those symptoms.
- Yes, yep, we have all of our foods to kind of help us
through the nausea recovery process.
- Okay, and there are a lot of different sources
of nausea of course,
pregnancy is a big one. - Oh yes.
- The flu, but regardless of the source,
the foods still provide the same benefits.
- Definitely yep, they are.
There are specific ingredients,
specific foods and even some supplements that you can take
to kind of help ease any sort of digestive upset.
- Okay, so let's talk through some of these,
ginger's one you hear about a lot.
- Yes, it has been studied to show
that it can be just as effective as anti-nausea medication.
So there are bioactive compounds,
the main property of ginger called ginger ale
that helps get rid of any kind of sick feeling.
So I always say, "Take ginger in its freshest form,
"or those a little frozen cubes
"that you could blend into smoothies."
- The next one is broth.
- Yes, so typically, when you see peak feeling nauseous
so like you're going to vomit,
you don't really wanna chew on a lot of foods, right?
So I always say, "Rehydrate yourself with electrolytes
"and vitamins and minerals that have been lost
"if you've already been ill."
So broth comes into the picture,
you can do either chicken broth, vegetable broth,
or if you love the trend of bone broth, all of those contain
electrolytes that will help replenish back into your system.
- And the next thing he recommend is cold foods.
- Yeah. - So smoothies are an example
of something that - Yeah.
- Will really help alleviate that nausea.
- Yeah, so you can again infuse your body back
with some electrolytes, vitamins, minerals.
A really good smoothie I like to make for
when I'm not feeling well is bananas, almond milk, and oats.
All of those ingredients kind of help settle your stomach
and the coldness is also very soothing in itself.
- The next one is one we've all heard of the BRAT diet.
- Yes. - Let's talk through that.
- So BRAT diet stands for bananas,
rice, applesauce and toast.
When you feel like you could eat a little bit
but not too much, you always wanna stick
to these bland food groups.
A lot of the fiber and the applesauce
can help act as a binding agent in your digestive tract
to kind of settle anything that's going on in their,
bananas contains potassium
which helps replenish those electrolytes.
And then of course, everybody knows the rice and the toast
helps bind everything in your digestive tract.
- [Jackie] The final two I hadn't actually heard it before,
fennel and then Vitamin B6.
- Yeah, fennel is great to chew on.
So you just chew on fennel seeds, there's compounds in there
that helps relax the muscles of your digestive tract
from cramping up or causing
any sort of upset stomach issues,
but you don't want to swallow the seeds.
You just wanna chew them just to release those compounds
and then you can discreetly get rid of the seeds.
- Last but not least is Vitamin B6.
This is very commonly used
for morning sickness and pregnancy.
So this has been studied extensively to show
that there has been success in those supplementing
with B6 when they are experiencing morning sickness.
- Overall takeaway is if you're not feeling well,
it doesn't have to stay that way.
There's a lot of natural foods and remedies
that can help have you feeling better.
- Definitely, food can always act
as your first line of defense.
All you really need is just to replenish your body
with vitamins, minerals, electrolytes,
everything that's been lost when you're feeling sick,
and you'll just be feeling great and no time.
- Well thank you so much. - Thank you.
- And for more tips on healthy eating
you can head to our website livinghealthytv.com.